Monday 16 April 2012

LANGUAGE BOOKLET


We have finally prepared the phrases of the booklet that we will use in Turkey and Italy once the cultural exchange will take place next year. We worked on our facebook project page  where we exchanged ideas and came up to a good number of expressions we thought would be necessary to know  during our stay in both countries. The English expressions will be translated into Italian and Turkish language .We are thinking now of the layout of the booklet .
.  
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/193676104072867/#!/groups/193676104072867/permalink/227549720685505/




DESCRIBING PEOPLE
-She/he is tall/thin/short/fat/etc.
-He feels very relaxed/depressed.


GREETINGS & BEST WISHES
-Congratulations!
-How is it going?
-Have a nice day!
-Good luck!
-Happy birthday/new year/anniversary etc
-I hope you feel better soon.
-I'm sorry to hear that.
-Good morning/afternoon/night!
-Nice to meet you.
-Fine, what about you?
-See you later.
-Take good care.


TRAVELLING
-How would you like to travel?
-I'd like to train by plane/bud/train/etc.
-Here is my passport
-Can I rent a car?
-When does boarding begin?
-Do you have an I.D. with you?


HOTEL AND ACCOMMODATION
-Vacancy/No vacancy
-I have made a reservation.
-Can I see the room?
-How much does it cost per night?
-The room isn't very clean.
- The air conditioner doesn't work.
-I'd like room service.
- Do not disturb.
 -I'll pay cash/by credit card.


MONTHS AND SEASONS
-January
-February
-March
-April
-May
-June
-July
-August
-September
-October
-November
-December
-Spring
-Summer
-Autumn/Fall
-Winter


TIME
-What time is it?
-It's quarter past eleven
-It's noon/midnight/morning.
-Sorry I don't have a watch.
-This year/Last year/Next year.


AT THE AIRPORT

-Where is the information desk, please?
-Where do I check in?
-Which way to the exit
-Can I pay in euro?
-What's the gate number?
-How far is the airport from here?
-When is there a flight to Turkey/Italy?
-A seat next to the window/on the aisle
-What’s the fare?
-Are meals served?
-At what time does the plane leave?
-What is my flight number?
-I have only carry-on baggage
-I there any shuttle service ?
-Where is the tourist office?

BEING POLITE
-Please
-Thank you
-Excuse me
-Can I ask a question?
-I'm sorry
-No problem
-Don't worry about it.
-Never mind.


FIRST MEETING
-My name is ...
-What 's your name?
-Who are you with?
-Where are you from?
-You're welcome !
-Is there someone who can speak English?
-How are you?
-How old are you?
-I'm ... years old
-I am from Turkey/Italy.
-Which hotel are you at?


On The Road
-Turn left
-Turn right
-Go straight
-In front of
-Behind
-Next to

TRANSPORT

-Where is the bus stop?
-Where is there a subway in this city?
-How much is the fare?
-Where can I buy a ticket?
-Which line goes to Liberty Street etc.?
-Does the train go to Liberty Street etc.?
-How many more stops?
-Do I have to change?
-Please, tell me when we get there
-Where is the bus stop?
-Is it far from here?
-Is there a taxi stand around here?
-Where can I get a taxi?
-Take me ( I want to go) to The airport/The hotel/The train station,please!
-How much do I owe you?


WEATHER CONDITIONS
-What's the weather like today?
-It's cloudy/rainy/windy/snowy/sunny/hot/cold/warm.


FAMILY & RELATIVES
-Father
-Mother
-Brother
-Sister
-Aunt
-Uncle
-Child
-Daughter
-Son
-Wife
-Husband


ON THE TELEPHONE
-Just a moment,please.
-Who are you calling for?
-Can I leave a message?


SHOPPING
-I'd like to try it on.
-How much does it cost?
-Where i exchange some money?
-Where is the shopping mall?
-Can i place an order?
-Can i have a bag please?
-Excuse-me, sir/madam/miss
Where can I find a bakery/a barber shop/a beauty parlor/a delicatessen/a clothing store/a department store/a gift shop/a newsstand/a tobacco shop/a Travel agent/a supermarket/a toy store/a liquor store?
-Can you help me?
-Where is the lost and found office?


HEALTH & EMERGENCIES
-There's been an accident.
-I feel sick.
-Can i get some medicine?
-I've got a terrible headache/stomachache/backache/toothache etc.
-I feel dizzy.
-There is a fire!

AT THE RESTAURANT
-Do you know a good restaurant?
-Is it very expensive?
-Do you know a restaurant that serves regional dishes?
-I would like to make a reservation for Tonight/ Tomorrow/ Two people/ At 8 (8:30 P.M.)
-Waiter!!
-Miss!
-A table for two
-We’d like to have lunch (dinner) now.
-The menu, please
-What do you recommend?
-Please , bring us Bread/ Water/ Butter/
-I’m very hungry
-Waiter we need A knife/ A fork/ A spoon/ A glass/ A plate/ A napkin/A toothpick
-Would you like to sit in 'smoking' or 'non-smoking'?
-Where can i find a fast food restaurant/café/ a vegeterian restaurant?
-My order hasn't come yet
-Can you make reservations for me?
-Can i sit over there?
-I'd like to place an order.
-I'd like to pay.
-I'd like to see the menu.
-I'd like to drink vine/beer/coke/tea/coffee.
-Knife/Fork/Spoon
-Ketchup/Mayonnaise
-How much is the total?
-I'll pay the bill
-Could i have the bill, please?
-There seems to be a mistake
-Keep the change.
-I didn't order this
-Bill, please




ENTERTAINMENT(Cinema, Theatre, Museum etc.)
-Is the museum open to the public?
-What time does the museum open/close?
-Is there access for the disabled?
-Is there any audioguide in English?
-How much is admission?
-May i take pictures here?
-Can you recommend a concert?
-Would you like to go to the theatre with me?
-Are there any seats left for tonight?
-Where is the coat check?
-What tipe of music do they play?
-Is there a cover charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment